City Architecture Office has secured Listed Building Consent & Building Warrant approval for the Vittoria Group for a new restaurant at Victoria Street within the UNESCO Edinburgh Old Town world heritage site.
St. John’s church & Parish School was designed by Architect: George Smith in 1838 has since had various uses including a bookmaker and a popular Byzantium market.
The building suffered major fire damage in late 2009 and has subsequently remained closed.
The Category B listed building will be the home for an 11,000 sq ft , 250 cover restaurant set across three levels, opening in late 2018.
City Architecture Office proposals include the sensitive reworking of circulation to allow access for all into the restaurant, integration of a sizeable new kitchen and roof works, working closely with the local authority conservation officer. A building warrant for the alterations is secured and licensing plans have also been approved, as the project moves forward to construction.
Vittoria Group MD Tony Crolla’s father, Alberto Crolla Sr, opened the family’s first restaurant, Vittorias on Leith Walk, in 1970. The company now employs more than 250 staff across its restaurants and delivery sites, including Vittoria on the Walk, Vittoria on the Bridge, Taste of Italy, La Favorita and fine dining restaurant Divino Enoteca.
This is City Architecture Office’s fourth project for The Vittoria Group over 15 years.